Zeppelin

Zeppelin

lördag 28 december 2013

2013, places 11-15.

11. Jesu - Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came
Oh how I love the sound of this album. The sort of post punk/rock stuff with the heavy doomy bass/guitars in the background. This sound builds the foundation of the album and sets the tone from the very start.

You wouldn't have expected a "happy" album from Broadrick's Jesu and luckily that is not he's intending on this record. Where for example Trent Reznor made a somewhat up beat (by NIN and Godflesh/Jesu standards), Broadrick stays on the gloomy road.




12. Chelsea Wolfe - Pain Is Beauty
This album is for 2013 what PJ Harvey's "Let England Shake" was for 2011.I hear a lot of similarities between the two records, mainly that this one is nearly as good as Harvey's last masterpiece and that is saying a lot! This is dark, doomy and dreasmy pop(?), that would be the soundtrack to your nightmare.





13. Wolf People - Fain
The band that released the greatest record of 2010 returned with another great release this year! This album is probably even better than "Steeple". However I think I expected something more, it's more of the same but slightly better which obviously makes it a great album, but for me it's not a contender for a top spot like the previous album was. And in all honesty there aren't a lot of records from 2010 that would end up in top ten this year...



14. Kylesa - Ultraviolet
I thought this was gonna be a contender for best album of the year, it didn't really reach that high though. This album is packed to the rim with sludgy riffs that'll make your ears bleed and there's a great dynamic throughout the record. The mix between Philip Cope's and Laura Pleasants' voices fits the music brilliantly. The band is coming to Oslo in January and I hope to catch the show!





15. Jonathan Wilson - Fanfare
Jonathan Wilson might be my discovery of the year, outside of metal. Best described, Wilson creates psychedelic folk rock inspired by some of the artists that make appearances on the records. These artists are David Crosby, Graham Nash, Roy Harper and Jackson Browne. To fit so many inspirations in one record it needs to be quite long, and it is... The album is nearly 80 minutes long and if I have any complaints about the album it is that it's a tad too long. However, there isn't a single track I would remove so maybe I'm all wrong...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar